Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Walking for Autism!!!




We will be walking as a family, for our 3rd year, in the Annual "Steps of Hope" walk on March 1st. This walk benefits individuals, their families, and agencies working with those with Autism.

As many of you know, Samuel was diagnosed educationally and medically with Autism at 3 years old. Sam will be 7 by the time we participate in the walk. The four years have gone by fast, and with lots of hard work from Sam at his speech and occupational therapies and school. Zach is also on the Autism Spectrum, with a disorder called Asperger's Syndrome. He was diagnosed much later, which is very typical for Asperger's. While both boys have very unique and different challenges than one another, together they inspire us.

The Autism Society of Minnesota (AuSM) sponsors this event. AuSM will use proceeds from the Steps of Hope to continue efforts in offering information and support to individuals, families and staff in a wide variety of ways. AuSM offers educational programs, including the Discovery Series, for parents of children recently diagnosed with Autism, and weekly workshops and support groups. Through the Steps of Hope Support Grant program, Minnesota families, schools and service providers can request financial help to purchase goods and services they need as they work with individuals with Autism. Our school district, whom Samuel receives special education services from, has received this grant in the past. AuSM also donates a portion of the proceeds to fund national research efforts.

We thank you for considering. If you wish to sponsor us just click below:

3 comments:

Dennis Sanders said...

Shoot, I wish I read this sooner. I wanted to do the walk, but since I'm busy at church, I couldn't do it. Hope it went well!

GClef1970 said...

I echo those sentiments! I need to move you up in my Bloglines so that I know when you have posted, especially since you (ahem!) post so infrequently! :-D

Hope it was a fantastic showing!

mysamiam said...

Dennis...we walked with you in mind too. You are so busy right where God needs you right now!

Melissa...I so am getting back on the bus. We have had a crazy last two years with some family stuff, but I am ready to roll. I have been keeping up with your posts though and truly enjoyed your "political posts" last November, and I will have to say that I "echoed those sentiments" also girlfriend! Hope economy is going okay with hubbies business. Godspeed.